Ok so for the month of September I am challenging myself to cook out of my pantry and freezer. For some reason I have let these two places of my house get out of control. I am ssssoooo sick and tired of throwing out freezer burned food lost in the black hole of the chest freezer and the two-years-past-expiration date food from my pantry. So in this challenge, my rules are simple....1. The main ingredients for dish must come from one of these two places, 2. Only main staples (flour, sugar, salt), milk (I have three growing kids), and produce will be grocery shopped. I foresee that we will eat like kings the beginning of the month and by the end it might be some slim pickin's. This will definitely stretch my culinary creative skills and my families flexibility to try new things!
It was kinda cold and rainy here today and it just felt like a good soup day. Here is a recipe that I came up with from two other recipes from the internet tonight:
Shrimp & Potato Soup
1/4 cup onion (finely chopped)
3 TBS butter
1 clove minced garlic
Salt & Pepper
6-7 med Yukon Gold potatoes diced with skin on
1 32 oz box of chicken stock
1/2 package real bacon bits
1 8 oz package cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
1 cup milk
1 cup frozen corn
1 14 oz package RAW shrimp (peeled, deviened & tails removed) (I had med size about 60 in package)
Melt butter in stock pot. Add onions and cook until soft, add garlic cook for 1-2 minutes then add bacon, salt & pepper to taste. Add potatoes to the pot and cover with chicken stockand cover. Cook until potatoes are fork tender then add cream cheese and milk and corn. Bring to simmer but do not boil, add shrimp and simmer until shrimp are pink. Serve with grated sharp cheddar cheese on top, chopped green onion, and or chives.
No comments:
Post a Comment